There is always something to be grateful for in life. I am grateful and thankful for so many things in my life. Sparklers, for one and smoothies that taste like cake, another. Yep, those are two things on my gratitude list. This recipe is half a dozen ingredients and minimal dish washing. Toasted marshmallows and sparklers optional. Most certainly a strong recommendation. This smoothie is light yet filling. Earthy and sweet balanced to perfection. I add the vegan marshmallow because to me marshmallows are almost always a good idea. Whipped cream is also a no brainer. Both together an idea too. I stick with the marshmallow. Sift carob powder on top for extra something. Maybe even carob or chocolate chips. Then there is the sparkler. Makes for a good photo. Since the recipe is so easy, the finish photos are what I include along with the recipe and link to its origin with step by step instructions.
I borrowed a recipe from minimalist baker.com. I substitute cocoa for carob and unsweetened soy milk is my choice for this one. Vegan marshmallow the final add-on. All ingredients in the blender. Blend and tah-da.
- 2 ripe, frozen (peeled) bananas (~2 heaping cups as recipe is written)
- 1/3 cup cubed beet (raw OR roasted/steamed until tender, then frozen*)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (or cacao powder) I use Bob Red Mill carob
- 2 pitted dates
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk , plus more as needed (they like coconut or almond) I like soy with no fillers
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- If using raw beets, chop, measure out, and set aside. If cooking, see notes. Add all ingredients to a Cuisinart (the use high-speed blender) and blend until creamy and smooth, adding more dairy-free milk as needed to help blend.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more dates for sweetness, beets for earthier flavor / more intense magenta color, or cocoa / cacao powder for richer chocolate flavor.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy as is or top with red velvet cake balls, cocoa / cacao powder, beetroot powder, or coconut whipped cream (all optional). Best when fresh. Will keep in the freezer up to 2 weeks (thaw before enjoying).
Until Next Time…