I need a healthy snack. In making daily discoveries in vegan cooking, baking, and food preparations I have discovered nutritional yeast. What is nutritional yeast? It is deactivated yeast containing mega fiber, B vitamins and zinc often used as a cheese substitute in vegan cooking or to flavor veggies and snacks. It has a nutty cheese flavor profile with tang and kick. I am interested in the last option at this time. Although, butternut squash is currently in my oven roasting away at 400 degrees F. Who knows, maybe I will add it to some mashed butternuts squash cubes to make a a penne veggie mac’n cheese. For now, it’s popcorn time. The recipe I borrowed from BonAppetit.com. Pop your popcorn and then dress it according to the recipe and bake.
Tatum’s Tuesday Tips? Up your popcorn game and make a healthy choice by using nutritional yeast.
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 cups just-popped popcorn (from ½ cup kernels)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- A spice mill or a mortar and pestle
- Finely grind nutritional yeast, Aleppo pepper, and salt in spice mill or with mortar and pestle.
- Arrange popcorn on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with oil; toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with some of the nutritional yeast mixture and toss well to coat, adding more nutritional yeast mixture to taste.