This one is a goodie. I needed an excuse to use these super cute cookie cutters again anyway? Not really but, shhhhh. By the way, you can purchase through my Amazon store. There you can find theory goodies too. A sil pat, baking pans, and other baking necessities, in case you need another something. Seems like I always do.
This recipe is for vegan sugar cookies. I added cocoa powder because I wanted chocolate. Which of course, I eyeball. Ilovevegan.com, thanks a million.
- 2 cups + 1 tbsp all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup room temperature coconut oil (semi-soft and scoopable)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the coconut oil and the sugar. Beat for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is nice and light. Add the water and vanilla and beat until the mixture is well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar mixture, beating to combine.
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour.
- Before rolling, let the dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Roll the dough directly onto parchment paper. The dough should be ¼” thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out the dough, use a flat spatula to gently remove the excess dough. Keep re-rolling and cutting out the dough until it’s all used up.
- Transfer cookies to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave 1″ space between cookies.
- Pop the unbaked cookies into the freezer to chill for 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges and barely firm in the center. Let them rest on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Let them cool completely before decorating. (Pop ’em in the freezer if you’re impatient.)
Until Next Time…