“A party without a cake is just a meeting”–Julia Childs
One of the best cakes on the planet (besides the Hummingbird cake) is the angel food cake. I need one. Only whole wheat flour and egg white powder in the kitchen. Thank you to Store This Not That blog for the recipe! I use a non spring form pan (reason will remain unexplained) and the results still fantastic! Take a look at how I do below..
1 1/2 C. powdered sugar
1 C. cake flour (or 3/4 C. whole wheat flour + 1/4 C. cornstarch)
1 1/2 C. egg whites (12) (1/2 C. dry egg white powder + 1 1/2 C. water)
1 1/2 t. cream of tartar
1 C. granulated sugar
2 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
- Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 375ºF.
2. Pulse in blender powdered sugar and flour; set aside. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until foamy. Beat in granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high speed, adding vanilla, and salt with the last addition of sugar. Continue beating until stiff and glossy meringue forms. Do not underbeat.
3. Sprinkle sugar-flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over meringue, folding in just until sugar-flour mixture disappears. Push batter into ungreased angel food cake pan (tube pan), 10×4 inches. Cut gently through batter with metal spatula.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cracks feel dry and top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or bottle. Let hang about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool. Loosen side of cake with knife or long, metal spatula; remove from pan.
5. Make your own whole wheat cake flour by using 3/4 C. whole wheat flour (I’d definitely recommend white wheat) and 1/4 C. corn starch to equal 1 C. of cake flour!
I try the recipe twice with different cake pans..
And then there is this pan..
Playing with shapes and photo shooting from the first set of rounds (pre bundt cake pan above)..
A proper pan is necessary. The texture slightly different using whole wheat flour instead of required regular. A hearty density I don’t mind at all. And for frosting, I use icing sugar and lemon juice from fresh lemons. German cherries and juice from the Trader Joe’s. The ultimate deliciousness.
Until Next Time…